Welcome to the LUXURY Link!
I hope this issue of LUXURY Link finds you enjoying your summer after a successful time in Las Vegas! I want to thank you for another incredible turnout at this year's LUXURY show; without your passion, support and continued dedication to our industry, the Show would not be possible. The show floor certainly felt alive with energy and I hope the enthusiasm followed you back to your stores, studios, and showrooms.
We are just a few days away before opening the doors to LUXURY Privé at its new location, the legendary Waldorf Astoria. With an impressive roster of new exhibitors, daily incentive drawings and enhanced networking opportunities, it is sure to be a successful endeavor for everyone in attendance. Read on for a sneak peek at other new additions to the Show!
Also in this issue of LUXURY Link, in an attempt to cool down from those hot summer temps, we have a Christmas in July feature, showcasing a ton of new pieces which you are sure to want to have in your stores for this year's important gift giving season. In addition, you'll also find a profile of the first LUXURY Retailer of the Year award winner, Schmitt Jewelers. And not to be missed is our Media Spotlight, which features the ‘brilliant' mind behind the must-read blog, Gem Gossip, Danielle Miele.
Looking forward to seeing you at LUXURY Privé, the AGS Circle of Distinction, or one of the many industry events in NYC next week!
Industry Vice President
Sneak Peek at LUXURY Privé
LUXURY Privé will open its doors to its exclusive 3-day event on Sunday, July 27th at its new home, the famed Waldorf Astoria in New York City. In the grandest of grand ballrooms, over 60 exhibitors, including such industry standouts such as A.Link, Jewels By Star, Martin Flyer and Mémoire, will showcase their latest collections of fine jewelry. For a full list of exhibitors, and an advance look at their show highlights, view the LUXURY Privé digital product guide.
This year, LUXURY Privé is open to all qualified retailers attending the NYC summer jewelry shows, allowing many first-time buyers to experience all that LUXURY Privé has to offer. Also new to the show this year will be the daily Merchandise Credit Drawings for attending retailers, awarding $5,000 over the three days.
LUXURY Privé will kick off with top regarded speaker Scott Lachut, of PSFK who will present the LUXURY Privé keynote address. Lachut will put under the microscope, the Future of Retail 2014 Report. Then Sunday evening, Exhibitors and retailers will be transported back to the 1970's on Sunday evening, July 27th, for an ‘American Hustle'-themed welcome reception, complete with 70's era music and cocktails. Invitees are encouraged to don their best period dress for the groovy affair.
For more information, including how to register, please visit jckonline.com/luxuryprive.
Back to Top
LUXURY 2014 Set Las Vegas Jewelry Week on Fire!
When the global industry comes together for three event-filled days at the relaxed environment of Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino, magic is sure to happen. And LUXURY 2014 surely did not disappoint! The by invitation only show, celebrated it's 15th year, and proved once again, why it's the preeminent event of Las Vegas Jewelry Week.
Some of the Show's most memorable highlights were:
- LUXURY's keynote address by The Jewelry Activist, Diane Warga-Arias, which focused on bridging the gap between Fine and Fashion jewelry, and the critical importance for retailers to push beyond their existing boundaries to meet the demands of this ‘new' consumer in their stores.
- After an American Idol-style vote-a-thon, the inaugural Retailer of the Year was awarded to Schmitt Jewelers, of Phoenix, AZ. The award, identifying LUXURY's most innovative retailer, focuses on the future of retailing, and acknowledges their efforts over the past year. The theme of this year's award was "Redefining Fine Jewelry Through Innovation," showcasing how retailers are bridging the gap between high-end fine and fashion jewelry in their stores.
And certainly LUXURY's post-show events are not to be forgotten! Between a luxurious poolside gala, complete with an in-water splash mob, attending the Michael Jackson ONE by Cirque du Soleil, and nightly Late Night Lounges, there was as much networking and action taking place after show hours as during the day.
Back to Top
Schmitt Jewelers Named LUXURY’s Inaugural Retailer of the Year
One of the highlights of this year's LUXURY show was the awarding of the first-ever Retailer of the Year award, signifying the most innovative retailer, whose focus is on the future of retailing, and acknowledges their efforts over the past year.
This year, the honor was bestowed upon Schmitt Jewelers, of Phoenix, AZ. Originally founded in 1970 by Marie and Larry Schmitt, three generations of the family are now actively involved in making Schmitt Jewelers a success.
Second generation owners Tom and Tim Schmitt, credit much of the business' success on the early decisions made by their parents, namely in running the store honestly and always putting their customers' needs first. They also credit the store's longevity on two important factors. First, the Schmitt name is on the door, telling customers that the family takes pride in the quality of their product, whether a custom piece or designer brand. Second, a Schmitt family member is almost always on the premises.
For their Retailer of the Year nomination submission, Schmitt Jewelers chose specifically to highlight their showroom environment, built for today's consumer as a retreat where strong relationships are built with clients through a great buying experience. In addition, they focused on their extensive social media consumer reach with close to 12,000 Facebook ‘likes', 14,000 Twitter followers, and impactful social media engagement through Pinterest and Instagram.
Plans are already underway for the 2015 theme of the LUXURY Retailer of the Year which will be announced in the next few months.
Back to Top
Xmas in July
Even though the holiday shopping season is still pages away in the calendar, there's no time like the present to select those items that will fill your cases come November. Here is a selection of pieces from LUXURY exhibitors sure to enable shoppers to cross off everyone on their gifting list!
Over $10,000 | Under $10,000 | Under $1,000
- A. Link – 7-row diamond necklace set in 18K
- Bellarri – Amethyst and diamond earrings set in 18kt pink gold
- Carlex – 18K white gold and diamonds men's wedding band
- Claude Thibaudeau –Diamond and pink sapphire ring
- Coronet – White gold and diamond ‘Heba' necklace
- Danhov – Pearl, diamond and yellow gold ‘Trenta' ring
- Doves by Doron Paloma –18K white gold diamond ring
- Jack Kelege – White gold and diamond earrings
- JB Star–Paraiba and diamond ring set in platinum
- Jewels By Jacob – Emerald and diamond bracelet
- Kim International– 14K yellow gold and cognac diamond pendant and earrings
- LeVian – 18K Honey Gold™ Sinuous Swirls™ necklace with Vanilla Diamonds® and Chocolate Diamonds®
- MK Diamonds & Jewelry – Rose gold and diamond bracelet
- Omi Privé - Pink tourmaline and ruby ring accented with diamonds set in 18K rose gold
- Rahaminov Diamonds – Cuff bracelet with mixed shape rose cut white diamonds bezel set in 18K yellow gold
- Sasha Primak– Platinum and diamond engagement rings
- Shah Diamonds– Yellow and white diamond ring set in white gold with yellow gold accents
- Simon G. – 18K white gold earrings comprised of round white and mosaic diamonds
- Sofragem Co., Ltd. – 18K white gold ring and earrings featuring tanzanite cabochons and emeralds with white diamonds
- Steven Royce Designs – Tanzanite and diamond pendant set in 18K white gold
- Supreme Jewelry Corp.– 18K rose gold ring featuring baguette and rose cut diamonds
- TARA Pearls – Natural color Golden South Sea strand of pearls
- Vianna B.R.A.S.I.L – Indicolite and diamond earrings set in 18K white gold
- Yael Designs – Tourmaline and diamond ring set in white gold
- ZIVA Jewels – Vintage diamond cocktail rings in 18K white gold
- Zorab Creations – Pink sapphires, kunzite spodumene, and white diamond ring
- A. Link - Diamond Pave Drop Earrings in 18K rose gold
- Alisa - 18K gold, sterling and diamond bracelet
- Artistry, Ltd.- Pendant necklace with graduated yellow sapphires surrounded by diamonds in 14K yellow gold
- Bellarri - Amethyst and diamond ring set in 18K pink gold
- Calgaro - Sterling silver strands with diamond cut silver beads
- Coronet - 14K White Gold and Diamond earrings
- Doves by Doron Paloma - 18K yellow gold earrings featuring amazonite with diamond and tsavorite accents
- Garavelli Aldo - Principessa Sofia ring with brown diamonds in rose gold
- Gottlieb & Sons- White diamonds earrings in white gold
- Hulchi Belluni - Rose gold and white diamond bracelet
- H. Weiss Company- 18K Pink gold and diamond ‘Fantasy' earrings
- Isabelle Langlois- White gold ‘Ocean' ring with citrine, blue topaz, rainbow moonstone, lolite, diamonds and sapphires
- Jack Kelege - 18k yellow gold and diamond earrings
- James Breski- Blue moonstone and diamond pendant
- Jeff Cooper Designs- Hand-crafted diamond and platinum ring
- Kama Schachter - Multiple special emerald cut stones, seamlessly set in white gold, to diffuse the outlines and create an illusion of a single large diamond
- Kirk Kara- Ladies band in 18K yellow and rose gold
- LeVian - Chocolatier® Raspberry Rhodolite® Fiery Reds™ ring, in 14k Strawberry Gold®, with Vanilla Diamonds® and Chocolate Diamonds®
- Maiden Lane Jewelry - Aspiri cut diamond engagement ring
- Noam Carver - 18K rose gold engagement ring with round diamonds
- Rahaminov Diamonds - "Kiss Me" Ring with a bezel set Forevermark center diamond and Melee diamonds diagonally across, set in 18k rose gold
- Rina Limor Designs - Grey moonstone and diamond earrings in rose gold
- Sethi Couture- 18K tsavorite and blue sapphire chandelier earrings accented with white diamonds in white gold and black rhodium
- Simon G. - 18K white gold with round white diamonds and green tourmalines
- Sylvie Collection- 14K rose gold diamond pendant
- Steven Royce Designs - Alexandrite and diamond ring in 18k white gold
- Supreme Jewelry Corp.- 14K two-tone earrings featuring slice sapphires and diamonds
- TARA Pearls - Tahitian pearl earrings set in 18 karat white gold with diamonds
- Vianna B.R.A.S.I.L- 18K Rose gold rings set with Crystal Quartz and Diamonds.
- William Henry Studio - Sterling silver 'shield' bracelet, inlaid with a rare piece of fossil Woolly Mammoth tooth, featuring a button lock clasp in stainless steel with inset diamond
- Asher Jewelry- Green, blue, yellow, red, and white diamonds set in 14K white gold
- Calargo - Sterling silver strands with diamond cut silver beads
- Coronet - 14K White gold and diamond necklace
- Doves by Doron Paloma - 18K white gold diamond pendant featuring a lapis triplet
- Four Keeps - Sterling silver lockets and sterling silver charms, set with white topaz and other natural stones
- Imagine Designs Gem Corp.- Diamond and sapphire band 18K
- LeVian - 14k Strawberry Gold® Sinuous Swirls™ Ring with Vanilla Diamonds® and Chocolate Diamonds®
- SOHO- Sterling Silver and enamel link bracelet
- Supreme Jewelry Corp.- 14K White and yellow gold charm ring with diamonds
- Torque - Black cobalt men's wedding band with a 10k yellow gold carved inlay
- Vianna B.R.A.S.I.L- Necklace Sets, featuring diamonds, pearl agate, mint quartz, and London blue topaz in 18K rose, yellow and white gold
- William Henry Studio - Money clip featuring a 10,000 year-old ring-cut fossil Woolly Mammoth tusk, inlaid with spinel
- Zeghani - 14K white gold pendant comprised of round white diamonds, citrine, and amethyst
Back to Top
MEDIA SPOTLIGHT: Danielle Miele, Gem Gossip
A self-proclaimed ‘jewelry girl' since before her 5th birthday, Danielle Miele, is the powerhouse blogger behind Gem Gossip, one of the most well-read jewelry blogs around. Here she shares her thoughts on Fall trends, must-owns, and LUXURY Privé plans.
LL: Tell us about what you look for when selecting jewelry to be featured on Gem Gossip? Is there an 'it' factor? What types of things do you keep in mind?
DM: This is a tough question, but mostly I look for unique designs, originality, something that makes me say, "Omg, I need that!" I love when a designer has his or her own "signature" where you can look at a piece of jewelry and know who it's by without being told. Handmade quality is also important. If it looks cheaply made, it is not going to resonate with my readers or clients.
LL: What trends do you see for jewelry this Fall?
DM: Lots of yellow gold, more importantly with a matte finish! It pairs well with the warm colors of fall. I also think pinky rings are going to be huge this fall and winter!
LL: In your opinion, what pieces should every woman own?
DM: A statement ring that causes people to stop and ask about it, diamond stud earrings for everyday wear, and a sentimental piece of jewelry. Everyone should have a piece of jewelry that means something really special to them.
LL: Do you have a favorite piece of jewelry? If so, what is it and what is the story behind it?
DM: I just got back from a treasure hunting adventure in London, where two friends and I went in search of some antique rings to bring home with us. I brought back three rings--a green tourmaline and pearl, a sapphire "crowned heart" and a miniature portrait ring of a masked lady. Those three are my current favorites! I love going on adventures and searching out pieces for my jewelry box.
LL: What is your dream piece of jewelry to own?
DM: My recent research has led me to be infatuated with Greek designers and Greek-inspired jewelry. My dream piece would be something magnificent from Ilias Lalaounis--I don't know quite exactly what, but I'll know when I see it!
LL: What are you most looking forward to at the Press & Blogger Preview happening during LUXURY Privé?
DM: Speaking of Greek designers, I am really looking forward to seeing Vassiliki Theodorakidi! Her use of yellow gold and ancient techniques is totally captivating. I'm also excited to see Gumuchian in person, as I've only seen online, even though I've written about them on Gem Gossip!
Danielle has been a jewelry collector since she was four years old, but her career in the jewelry business officially started in 2008 when she first began her successful blog, Gem Gossip. The jewelry blog focuses on jewelry trends, antique and period jewelry, celebrity jewelry, as well as exclusive designer interviews. It is also a hub for gemstone and jewelry education, considering Danielle's graduate Gemologist studies through the Gemological Institute of America. You can find Danielle sitting behind a microscope and appraising jewelry for Walton's Antique Jewelry, as her full-time job. When not behind a microscope, she is traveling the world covering jewelry stories, visiting stores and collecting rings. With features from InStyle, Instore, and People Style Watch, she owns up to what JCK Magazine called her in 2014, a "sought-after jewelry blogger."
Back to Top
Despite being in the midst of the summer vacation season, LUXURY exhibitors are continuing to stay business-focused by blinging out red carpets, winning awards, and establishing their plans for a strong second half of 2014.
Red Carpet Review
- Holly Robinson Peete, Entertainment Tonight host Carly Steel and actress Laura Vandervoort set various red carpets a sparkle in Coronet Diamonds.
- Kelly Osbourne, Mindy Kaling, and Kristen Bell, along with model Alessandra Ambrosio stunned in DOVES jewelry at several recent events.
- NATALIE K. was ready for their Broadway debut at The Tony Awards by Idina Menzel, the singer from Frozen.
- Minnie Driver, Kristen Bell, and Hilary Duff all proclaimed their love of Sethi Couture at recent red carpet appearances.
- Laura Prepon was spotted in Simon G. jewelry at the Critics' Choice Television Awards.
- Actresses Tamera Mowry, Brooke Burns and Rumer Willis all stunned in Sylvie Collection at various LA-based red carpet events.
- Supreme Jewelry had it's red hot music moments, dressing Jennifer Lopez for the American Idol Finale and Shakira for the The Voice Season 6 premiere.
- Omi Privé has been awarded the first ever "Platinum Craftsmanship Award" in the fifth annual Platinum Innovation Awards. The newly announced Craftsmanship Award is based on overall quality of workmanship, rather than the design of one particular piece.
- Rahaminov Diamonds has been named the winner of the 5th Anniversary Design Challenge category in JCK 2014's Platinum Innovation Awards. The "Vibrant Bloom" was the perfect piece for the category, as it spans across the color spectrum of pink, purple, blue, green, orange, & yellow; the color palette inspired by nature.
- Warren's Wise Words
Every year TARA Pearls attends the Berkshire Hathaway weekend at Borsheims in Omaha, Nebraska. This year, they had the opportunity of Warren Buffett selling TARA's South Sea pearls! Akash Sethi, Vice President of TARA Pearl, stood alongside Mr. Buffett while selling pearl jewelry to a customer.
- VO+ Magazine Re-Brand
Fiera di Vicenza announced the revitalization and new digital web platform of the publication VIORO International magazine. In honor of the publication's 30th anniversary, the quarterly jewelry magazine has been re-branded as VO+ and is available through print, web and a brand new app on Apple and Android. The website, new branding and special 30th anniversary issue, which is dedicated to traditions of jewelry and the magazine's history, debuted during the VICENZAORO Spring edition of the fair, which took place in Vicenza, Italy.
Back to Top
Make the Seasons Sparkle!
Martha Stewart Weddings continues to share their expert ideas and inspiration with LUXURY year-round! View Martha Stewart Weddings’ Project How-To Guide for their clever ideas to help you capture and dazzle customers throughout the year.
Back to Top