Welcome to the spring edition of the LUXURY Link. With winter in the rear view (thankfully), our team is looking forward to some exciting jewelry happenings in the very near future—Spring Fashion, Mother's Day, and Las Vegas!
Where product is concerned, our Spring Trend Alert will translate the latest runway trends into jewelry looks and ignite the spring fashion shopper in all of you, while our Mother's Day Gift Guide delineates gorgeous gifts for mom in three distinct price categories. The Vegas Product Preview offers a tantalizing sneak peak of the new collections you can expect to see come Showtime next month.
In addition, we caught up with three LUXURY all-stars this month—Tiffany Kay of Scott Kay Inc., Liz Sahakyan of Cassis Jewels and Diane Frassanito of Frassanito Jewelers. Tiffany, Liz and Diane are three of the busiest women in jewelry, yet both took time to share their colorful and inspirational stories with us.
Finally, no spring issue would be complete without a recap of our favorite winter tradition—watching the red carpet. Our designers were out in full-force this award show season, with each moment captured on—you guessed it—Instagram. We've rounded up the best Instamoments that will take you right back to the glitz and glamour (but not the cold) of this past season.
We hope you enjoy the issue and we are excited to see you all in a few short weeks at LUXURY 2015!
Event Director, LUXURY, LUXURY Privé, Elite Enclave & Swiss Watch
Mother’s Day Gifts by Price
These accessible gifts feature soft color, vintage details, pearls, and personal touches that will melt mom’s heart.
This category presents an array of colored pearls, colored metals, and colored stones, not to mention fashion rings and bangles, for the luxe-loving, stylish mom.
Looking to knock it out of the park this Mom’s Day? Check out these avant-garde pearl designs, regal earrings and bold yet feminine cuffs.
Interview with Tiffany Kay, Vice President, Merchandising and International Relations at Scott Kay Inc.
With many wondering what to expect from the legendary bridal brand this year, we sat down with Tiffany Kay for a quick company update. Expect new product additions, a commitment to brand integrity and longevity, and an infusion of personality (Tiffany is a charmer!).
1. What can buyers expect from Scott Kay product-wise come showtime this year? Any new product extensions?
Collections like Heaven’s Gates, Namaste, Guardian, and The Crown Setting, have such strong meanings and in part make up our DNA of the company. It’s what makes us authentic. It’s what makes us Scott Kay. History shows a designer’s influence can be reinterpreted through new hands, and that’s exactly what we will be showcasing through our designs this year at JCK.
2. What is new with the brand?
It’s no secret that there’s a lot of “new” here but with that said, the passion that fuels us at Scott Kay is that same passion that made my father an industry legacy, and is what continues to inspire the great strides being made on the brand evolution. Guess you’ll just have to come by to see!
3. What are you most looking forward to about the show this year?
There is an enormous amount of hard work being put into making JCK/Luxury 2015 the most special production Scott Kay has ever showcased at a tradeshow. Now, we are the storytellers, and we will make the running the man did live forever.
4. What are your favorite non-work related activities to do as a team in Las Vegas? i.e. where will we find the Scott Kay team after hours?
Well darrrling… having cosmos at the Cosmopolitan of course :)
Spring Trend Alert
For any jewelry lover, the best part of runway fashion is brainstorming jewels to match the clothes. With directive from the spring 2015 shows we’ve paired LUXURY jewels with two of the most prolific trends to walk down the catwalk, ‘all-white’ and ‘subtle 70’s’. Warning: your Vegas wish/shopping list might swell to disconcerting proportions after viewing!
- Doves by Doron Paloma – 18k white gold diamond pendant with white topaz and turquoise
- Garavelli Aldo – Coil Turquoise ring set in 18k white gold with diamonds
- Sethi Couture –Turquoise and white diamond bangle set in 14k rose gold
- Sophia by Design – 14k yellow gold, opal, and diamond bracelet
- Sylvie Collection – 14k white gold blue topaz and diamond earrings
- Bapalal Keshavlal – 18k white and yellow gold earrings featuring mixed shape, fancy colored diamonds
- Doves by Doron Paloma- 18k rose gold diamond bangle
- Garavelli Aldo – Star Wars pendant featuring 18k light rose gold, natural brown diamonds, white diamond accents, and blackened finish
- Jye Luxury Collection – 3D Diamond pendant in satin and hammered finish 18k yellow gold
- Sophia by Design – 18k yellow gold and diamond earrings
- Sylvie Collection – 14k yellow gold diamond fashion ring with a total carat weight of 1.13
- Uneek – Medallion collection pendant in rose and white gold with diamonds
Interview with Liz Sahakyan, Chief Designer/VP, Cassis Jewels
1. Tell us about the beginning of Cassis? Where does the brand's story begin? What was the inspiration?
Our story began in 1989 and the inspiration has always been the same, to create a highly distinctive brand of classically fashion forward designs, rich in our Cassis® textured 18 karat gold and influenced by our culture of greek-armenian heritage!
2. What would you say is a signature brand element that is uniquely 'Cassis'?
Fashion forward designs that feature our Cassis® textured 18 karat gold, which continues to be instantly recognizable and is the DNA of our brand. And of course our cassis® crosses, which are collected worldwide!
3. Who is Cassis for?
Our brand's feminine sense of design does not discriminate and, today more than ever, our reach spans from 18 year olds to 88 year olds. It's primarily the female self-purchasers with a sense of high end fashion who appreciates fine jewels with an intrinsic value that is wearable 24/7. Cassis® jewels is for the well-traveled, well informed, self-confident jewelista who loves to invest in jewels that are not simply ''flavor of the month.'' Our Cassis® jewelista ''cult collectors'' [as we have coined them] have grown in number and are more far reaching than ever—a true testament to our brand's appeal!
4. How do you start of your days? Do you have any rituals?
Caffeine is how I begin and how I end each day. It's my fuel all day ... anyone who knows me, will attest to this.
I begin each day with coffee and my iPhone, answering emails which now average between 150-250 each day. I always respond because I believe it is important in life and business ...people who do not reply or communicate is my biggest pet peeve.
5. What about hobbies? What do you do to unwind?
Honestly, I no longer have much time to unwind, but I'm a foodie and so for me, the greatest luxury is going to wonderful restaurants with great friends and enjoying long meals rich in conversation!
6. Where is your favorite place in the world?
Never a beach, and truly, it is always the next new city i will visit rich in culture, architecture, museums and exploring local restaurants!
7. What is your favorite, most treasured, piece of jewelry?
Truthfully, I'm not sentimental in that way and as chief designer, I treasure every new piece we add to our line - every new Cassis® cross that becomes a collectible, every new bracelet that is added to an armful stacked with previously purchased Cassis® bracelets.
I definitely hold a special place in my heart for pieces that are still in our line since our first collection in 1989! What I treasure are the pieces that have withstood the test of time and become iconic signatures, such as our crosses, bold color pieces, and stackables! I guess you can't separate me from our brand!
8. Lastly, looking to the future, does Cassis have anything exciting in store? Any new collections, marketing initiatives, new stores, etc??
Actually, we do have a few exciting things in the works, in terms of new markets and projects we have been approached to take on ... But we're not going to make any announcements, just yet ...Stay tuned!
Lights, Camera, Showtime! A Vegas Preview
With just about a month to go before LUXURY 2015, our designers are ready to show off the fruits of their labor. Buyers will be met with troves of impressive new designs, from whimsical pearl and opal creations and classic bridal iterations to dreamy colored pieces (rose gold and blue stones are standouts) and luxe yet wearable fashion looks. Prepare to be dazzled.
Retailer Interview: Diane Frassanito, Frassanito Jewelers
For this issue we chatted up Diane Frassanito of Long Island legend, Frassanito Jewelers. Here she sheds light on her love of jewelry (both classic and trendy), the industry, blogging, and who has the best lobster curry in Vegas….yum on all accounts!
1. Could you tell us about Frassantio's history? How did the store come to be?
Frassanito Jewelers was started in 1935 by my father Salvatore's brothers. They started in Queens mostly as a repair shop. My Uncle Gig was a highly skilled watchmaker . My father was an instrument technician in the Navy. When he came home from the service, my uncle taught him to be a watchmaker. I remember my father telling me that they spent $500 on inventory, starting with baby goods. Many years later, one of the brothers, Mario, moved to East Norwich. When they were looking to open a second location, Mario recommended looking at nearby Huntington because it had a vibrant downtown shopping area. Over the years we relocated in Huntington several times, finally moving to our current location in 1999, where we built a beautiful showroom with custom made cabinetry, etched glass and a soaring rotunda.
2. What about your involvement? When did that begin to materialize?
I had just graduated with a degree in English and was looking for a teaching job when my uncle Gig passed away suddenly. My father needed me so I switched gears and came into the family business. My siblings and I had always helped out during the holidays and summers so the transition was quite natural.
3. What is your favorite project at work? i.e. your favorite type of sale/customer?
I love finding the perfect diamond for an engagement ring customer. It's also fun to help a woman find her style sense and coordinate her jewelry to her wardrobe.
4. What is our favorite event(s) or promotional activity that you do in the store?
I love doing special events in the store and interacting with our clients in a fun and relaxed atmosphere.
5. We love the blog. Tell us more about it? When did is start and what is your goal with it?
The blog started in 2013 because we have so much we want to share with our clients and friends. We love to follow fashion trends and relate them to jewelry, but we also love to share thoughts with women on a personal level. We discuss all facets of a modern woman's life. The goal is to have an interactive tool to communicate in a fun and interesting way.
6. With LUXURY about two months away, what are your goals for Vegas? Are you in the market for anything specific (i.e. are there any product holes you're looking to fill)?
We are always in the market to tap into current and future trends. We strive to find things that are different and unique while balancing quality and value.
7. What is your favorite restaurant in Vegas?
I love to try new restaurants every time we go but the lobster curry at MIX is always delicious!
8. Where are we most likely to find you outside of show hours during Vegas?
You are most likely to find us talking and laughing with our dear friends who run stores all across the country! It's our favorite part of “showtime.” We have so much in common and always have so much fun. We even talk shop sometimes! We do long distance FITBIT challenges so it will be interesting to see who takes the most steps during the show.
9. How do you recover from Vegas?
One word SLEEP!!
LUXURY's Best Red Carpet Moments
The 2015 Red Carpet Season was one of the busiest ever for LUXURY Designers. Our favorite platform to view all of the celebrity placements was, of course, image-happy, social media darling Instagram! In case you missed out on the Instafun, we've compiled a recap of our favorite Instagram moments from the season! Be sure to follow @JCKEvents and all of your favorite LUXURY designers seen here!